Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 18 (Yoga X) and Nutrition Plan





I only did part of Yoga X today because I had errands to run and didn't have the full hour and a half to commit to it. I think i will probably do it fully on Sunday (my rest or stretch day), and substitute it for the X Stretch. I also had BVB today so I didn't feel that bad about skipping some of it as I was going to get a cardio workout on the sand.

A friend of mine was inquiring about my daily diet so I figured I might as well post what I emailed to him on this site, in case anyone else is wondering what it looks like on a daily basis. I also included some photocopies of the nutrition guide as examples of what I try to follow.

Here's the email:

Basically, you allow yourself portions of foods. It doesn't lump all carbohydrates into the same category. Fruits and Veggies are separate from potatoes and grains. In the first phase you're only allowed 1 carbohydrate (potato, rice, bread) per day, but I've been having like 1 and half to two portions (English muffin with breakfast counts as half portion, and I really crave it, so I give it to myself). Also, you're supposed to have breakfast, then a snack, then lunch, snack, then dinner. I modify it a bit because I wake up so late. Usually I'll have breakfast, then two or so hours later I'll have a pre workout drink, have recovery drink half way through work out, then at the end of work out recovery drink again, usually followed by protein shake. Then lunch, protein bar a few hours later, then dinner, and before I go to sleep I have a chocolate Casein shake to give me protein while I'm resting (so I have my second snack allotment at the end of the day).

I've attached an example of the meal plan that some people choose to do. I usually prepare one or two things per day from it and the rest I just sort of wing it. Here's just one example of my diet for a day:

10:30:
Breakfast
Mushroom omelet with egg whites, part skim cheese, 3 oz. of skim milk mixed with eggs, green onions and tomatoes. Low fat English muffin, fat free cottage cheese with half cup of strawberries mixed in. 12 oz. coffee with nonfat coffee mate (basically fat free soy milk). It’s filling.

12:30
N.O. Xplode pre work out drink

1:00
Work out

1:30
Half way through drink MRI WAR Recovery Drink

2:15
Drink other half of recovery drink

2:30 protein shake (Optimal Nutrition Whey Vanilla protein powder and skim milk or water)

3:00
Lunch:
6 oz. poached lemon and green onion salmon filet (takes 3 mins in microwave covered), brown rice, broccoli and carrots, salt and pepper to taste.

6:30 eat protein bar at work for snack

8:30-10:00
Dinner (at work)
Improvise some sort of lean meat like 8 oz. steak, pork chop, or chicken, side veggies and cup of fruit.

11:00-1:00am

Casein Protein blended shake with ice and skim milk.

Go to sleep.

I modify it a bit, so I may have a few extra calories here or there, but that's about what they recommend. I'm pretty much full all day, but when I get hungry, I’m starving and eat right away. I've gotten pretty lean quickly (though I’d probably be slightly leaner if I followed it exactly), but I'm also eating enough high energy, high protein foods that I'm able to tone and build muscle as well.

Good luck!
[End email]

Also today, I had to exercise some willpower and turn down a fruit parfait after volleyball. It looked healthy enough, but it had pound cake and custard in the middle which don't really fit into the diet. I could have had it and probably not noticed a difference, but it's a slippery slope before I start accepting everything and justifying it. (sigh) 18 Down, 72 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment